Thursday, March 1, 2012

Dinner with Atwood

A couple years ago my mother and I were sitting around the kitchen table when she said in hushed tones, “I know something about Margaret Atwood and I’ll tell you but you have to promise not to say anything to anyone about it. It is a secret.” My curiosity was definitely peaked. Being a poet and publisher in the small town of Kingsville, four hours away from the publishing mecca of Toronto — I am quite often out of the gossip loop and learn things well after the fact. What could my mother have heard about Margaret Atwood? Her conspiring tone was intriguing. My mother made another plea for the utmost discretion and then revealed that “Atwood has a house on Pelee Island and spends some of her time there in the summer.” Well I broke out in raucous laughter, “that must be the worst-kept secret in the world then.” I explained that she regularly is involved with charity events to raise money for Pelee Island’s conservation efforts.

Here is the latest one:
"An Evening With Margaret Atwood on Wednesday, May 9th at Beach Grove Golf and Country Club. Margaret has done readings in Windsor before, as she spends a fair bit of time on Pelee Island, but nothing quite so intimate and accessible as this dinner. From what I’m told, the numbers will be limited to around 100 attendees and the tables will seat six apiece.” Link here.

Tickets cost $100 and you will receive a charitable tax receipt for the portion of the ticket price that goes to the Pelee Island Bird Observatory. The evening begins at 6:30pm. After dinner, Atwood will give a reading and sign books, which will be available for purchase. You can email Paul Vasey at paulvasey@gmail.com for tickets or information.