Are you a rascally little kid who loves reading and rhymes? Do you love making up silly poems and songs about anything and everything? Think you can cook up your own clever rhymes?
If that's you, then come take part in Cook Up a Rhyme! This is a very special contest that is open to wonderful, creative, and imaginative children!
WHAT SHALL I WRITE ABOUT?
Simply make up a rhyme or a poem about a person that you think is curious, funny, or just plain strange! Use the person's name in that poem.
Here is an example for you to follow. It comes from the book The Naming Book of Rascally Rhymes
X is for Xavier
Xavier is known
for odd behaviour,
brussel sprouts are
his favourite flavour.
He runs with shoes
on his head,
will only sleep
under his bed.
Despite his quirks,
he causes no harm,
his peculiar charm.
If you live in Canada, you can find the book here.
If you live in the United States, you can find the book here.
I FINISHED! WHERE DO I SEND IT?
That was quick! Send us your poem by email here:
info (at) palimpsestpress.ca
In the subject line of the email, say: "Cook Up a Rhyme."
Make sure you include your full name and email address or mailing address with your entry. That way, we can write back to let you know if you won!
If you want to send it by postal mail, send it here:
Att: Cook Up a Rhyme Contest
96 Stewart St.
Send us your poem before December 25, 2008. We will choose all our winners and send them a very special New Year's gift!
BUT WHAT WILL I WIN?
This is the best part!
- ONE very, very, special winner will get a poem written about them by Jordan D. Troutt -- the author of The Naming Book of Rascally Rhymes.
- TEN other finalists will get their very own personally autographed copy of The Naming Book of Rascally Rhymes from Mr. Troutt!
- The winning entry and the 10 finalists will have their poems posted on this blog for everyone to read!
BUT THERE ARE RULES, AREN'T THERE?
Yes, you are absolutely right. There are rules, but luckily, not too many!
- This contest is only for young people. By young people, we mean anyone who is over the age of 5 and under the age of 10.
- Anyone who is over the age of 10 (like your parents) cannot take part in this contest. But they can check your spellings!
- Make sure that one of your parents has visited this site and that you have their permission to join the contest.
- And finally, most importantly: this contest is only open to rascals!