Friday, December 28, 2007

Interview with Diane Tucker

Diane Tucker, author of Bright Scarves of Hours (Palimpsest Press 2007), was interviewed by rob mclennan for his 12 or 20 questions series. Below is an excerpt. The entire interview can be found on his blog. The link is provided below.




Q: Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?

Diane: By theoretical concerns I assume you mean do I write consciously to serve one literary theory or another? No, I don’t. Though obviously I write in a certain style and have studied certain poetry and not other poetry; I know no one writes in a vacuum. I value clarity, precision, accuracy, honesty. I value these things fanatically, rabidly. Whatever theoretical concerns those represent I leave to the theoreticians.

Questions? Each poem probably does try to ask the right question and/or to answer it, I guess. But honestly I think worrying about the effect of my body of work would be too distracting. Thomas Merton said we have to be detached from the results of our work. I believe this. It’s my job to write the best poems I can and disseminate them as best I can. “The rest,” as Eliot says, “is not our business”.

Frankly I’m not interested in any questions that are merely current (except maybe “Is my bus going to be on time?” and “Do I need another cup of coffee?”, to which the answer is nearly always “Yes!”).



To read the entire interview, go to rob mclennan’s blog
http://12or20questions.blogspot.com/2007/09/12-or-20-questions-with-diane-tucker.html